A herniated disc (also known as a bulging disc) is a painful condition that occurs in the spine. It is among the most common injuries and it mainly occurs in the back, although it can be diagnosed in the neck as well. Our team at McCabe Chiropractic and Wellness Center in Hudson provides quality care for herniated discs.
The Symptoms of Herniated Discs
Some of the symptoms that are associated with herniated discs include:
- Muscle weakness
- Numbness or tingling in the feet and legs
- Back pain
It is also important to know that herniated disc symptoms can vary and depend on certain factors, such as the location of the bulging disc, and whether it is pressing on the nerves.
The Causes of Herniated Discs
Certain factors can contribute to a herniated disc, including:
- Sudden strain from improper twisting or lifting
- Repetitive motions
Diagnosing Herniated Discs
To diagnose a bulging disc, a doctor will order the following tests and procedures:
- MRI: It is the most common and accurate imaging test for diagnosing herniated discs in the spine and neck.
- X-ray: This type of diagnosis is also used to rule out other possible causes of back pain.
- Computer tomography (CT): The purpose of the CT scan is to see your bones. If there are bulging discs, they may move into the space around the spinal cord by pressing on them.
- Myelogram: It is a special procedure, in which an injection of dye is made to see if there is a narrowing of the spinal canal.
Treating Herniated Discs
Chiropractic care is a popular and effective non-invasive way for treating a herniated disc. The chiropractor addresses back pain, muscle weakness, and other common symptoms caused by a bulging disc. During the initial appointment, we go through the medical history of the patient, conduct a physical exam, and perform a series of neurological and orthopedic exams. We may also look at the patient’s posture, and examine the entire spine and neck. If we determine that you have a herniated dis, then a customized treatment plan is created to reduce pain and support the healing process.
Contact McCabe Chiropractic and Wellness Center in Hudson, WI
If you are suffering from any of the symptoms of a herniated disc are would like to learn more about our chiropractic services, contact one of our chiropractors at McCabe Chiropractic and Wellness Center. Call our team today at (715) 386-7690 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.